Monday, January 21, 2013

Salmon Spinach Salad with Rosemary Balsamic Vinaigrette


I sometimes allow salads to fall by the wayside in the winter for some reason. I'm finding though that if I use dark greens, like fresh spinach, it seems more of an any-season meal to me. I don't like the taste of tomatoes in the winter months, so I find that the sun-dried variety is a nice substitute in salads.

It's January, and my rosemary still looks good. I think an herby vinaigrette would be nice with this salmon salad.

Salmon Spinach Salad with Rosemary Balsamic Vinaigrette

Olive oil
Salmon fillets (about 4 oz. each), seasoned with salt and pepper
Baby spinach, chopped
Fresh or sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Sliced mushrooms
Feta cheese
Sliced almonds
Kosher salt
Black Pepper

Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add salmon, and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.

Place spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, feta cheese, and almonds on salad plates. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with vinaigrette (recipe below). Top salads with salmon fillets, and serve.


Rosemary Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle in olive oil. Add salt and black pepper.