Thursday, January 24, 2013

More Meatless Meals

I prepare two or three meatless meals each week. I like the way I feel--leaner, lighter, and confident that I'm doing something beneficial to my health. I've realized that I don't need meat at every meal; instead, I like to think of chicken, beef, and pork as side dishes or occasional ingredients in soup, chili, etc.

Fritattas are among my favorite meatless dishes. I can throw in fresh or leftover vegetables, spinach or other greens, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese, whatever I like.

Serve with my Creamy Stone Ground Grits and Zesty Chipotle Beans with Peppers and Onions.



Spinach Frittata with Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/3 cup onions, finely chopped
2/3 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Kosher salt
Black pepper
4 cups baby spinach, chopped

9 eggs, beaten
3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Beat eggs in a medium-size bowl, add salt, pepper, and parsley.

Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and mushrooms. Saute for 4 minutes. Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes, and saute for additional 1 minute. Place chopped spinach in skillet over top of vegetables, and saute until spinach wilts slightly.

Pour eggs over vegetables. Do not stir. Lower heat, and cook for 12 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over eggs, and transfer to oven. Cook for 5-10 minutes until top of frittata is set.