Saturday, March 30, 2013

Salmon, Straight Up

I recently wrote about the simplicity of pork tenderloin. Now it's salmon's turn. I don't have time for complicated marinades or fru-fru toppings with chopped herbs of all kinds. I need a good meal--FAST.

Oh, and I eat the salmon skin. Pan frying makes it nice and crispy. I want all the Omega-3s I can get.

Easy Seared Salmon

Good olive oil
4-5 ounce salmon filets with skin
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked black pepper

Blot fish dry. Place skin side up on plate. Drizzle skin with olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper.

Heat some oil to medium-high in a skillet until it smokes. When good and hot, add salmon, skin side down. Cook for 2 minutes. In the meantime, season top side of fish with salt and pepper. After 2 minutes, turn fish, and cook for additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Note: Cooking 4-5 oz. salmon over medium-high heat for 2 minutes on each side should result in medium-rare salmon. I enjoy this salmon with fresh greens, sliced mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, purple onions, feta cheese, sliced almonds, and a good homemade vinaigrette.