Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Chicken Barley Soup

I love pasta, but I only eat it occasionally. I don't like what it does to my waistline if I eat it too often, and I don't like the fact that it's processed and refined. I enjoyed pasta in my soups for years though, so I've recently been on the lookout for healthy substitutes. Barley is a great option for soup--it's hearty, filling, and tasty, and my waistline doesn't pay the price. I'm also keeping barley in mind as a substitute for rice in my favorite dishes, since barley is higher in fiber and essential nutrients. When pasta isn't quite right, barley is better.

Chicken Barley Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cup carrots, sliced
1 ½ cup celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 ½ quarts chicken stock or water
10 sprigs thyme
1 bay leaf
1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup barley
4 cups cooked chicken
2 – 2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt (more if using water instead of stock)
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 cups fresh spinach

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Cook for about 8 minutes. Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, mushrooms, barley, chicken, salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until barley is tender. Add spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove thyme stems. Adjust seasoning, and serve.