Monday, July 26, 2010

The Summer of Soup


In these sweltering, summer months, I had all but deserted soup—thinking it was too hot to enjoy this favorite meal of mine. My most recent craving made me realize I need this soul-satisfying comfort food, even when the temps are up. So, this summer I have resolved to make a delicious soup at least once a week.

Here’s my take on a quick, easy-enough-for-after-work soup. I used a healthy, oven-roasted turkey breast I cooked over the weekend, but rotisserie chicken would also work well. Boil-in-bag brown rice helps make this dish extra-healthy and super-easy.

Sue’s Easy Turkey Vegetable Soup

Olive oil
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 large clove minced garlic (or to taste)
1 ½ quarts chicken stock
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes in liquid
1 ½ cups green beans (fresh or frozen)
1 bay leaf
1 boil-in-bag brown rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups shredded turkey
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ cup chopped green onions

In a medium-large stockpot, sauté carrots, celery and onion in olive oil over medium heat until they soften a bit, about five minutes. Add garlic and sauté one minute. Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, green beans and bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce hat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add rice bag. Simmer for additional 10 minutes (or according to rice directions). When rice is done, empty contents into soup mixture. Add turkey, parsley, basil and green onions. Heat through and serve.